Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Vacation Bible School ...

I am in charge of the music for Vacation Bible School, which started yesterday. I was excited about being asked to help; I have been out of work for a year and starting to feel kind of ... worthless, so being needed is definitely a boost to my self-esteem.

I am good at organizing things, making lists and planning schedules, but not so good at leading the participants. Well, I am actually GREAT at leading as long as my followers follow, BUT as soon as someone departs from my plan, then I just do not know how to get back on track. So, I was really looking forward to working with the other volunteers, watching and learning how they handle the variances of a group of kids.

And, it has been fun! I have learned it is okay to change the plan mid-stream (which I knew already, of course, but, changing the plan is never IN the plan!), and I have learned that we do not all need to do everything. By that I mean that while I am teaching the songs to the kids, the woman in charge of outdoor activities can be outside setting things up, and someone else can be organizing supplies for the art project, etc. So, we don't need to come really early and stay late to prepare, which is nice.

I have become more involved in the art projects, which I also enjoy. Yesterday we planted seeds (turnips, of all things! Turnip seeds were the only seeds left at the store Sunday night!!) and today we made God's eyes. Tomorrow we will be face painting, and Thursday ... I don't think we've planned that far ahead yet!

I am spending time in pursuit of a new job, but it is nice to be useful now, as well. God bless the volunteers!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment