Thursday, July 22, 2010

I Am, I Said ...

















I have been unemployed for over a year now. Last summer was GREAT, kind of like my college days (many years ago), with the summers off. I completed a hand-quilted quilt I had started in January (the green/brown quilt on the right). And in three months I made a hand-quilted, full-size quilt (with chickens on the back, shown above turned over to the right side) for my middle son. In three months!! Life was good.

Last fall was GREAT; I have five kids, all married, so that makes a houseful for Thanksgiving and Christmas. It was nice to have time to focus on them without work interfering. I was hoping to make a sofa quilt for each couple for Christmas, but I only finished two. (I also made a wedding quilt and several baby quilts, all machine-quilted.)

After Christmas, my first grandson was born. (One of the afore-mentioned baby quilts was for him - incorporating Sunbonnet Sam as a fisherman. I used this block in the quilt I made for his father when he graduated from high school. Both quilts were extremely fun to make!)

And now, it is summer again... I am working on a jeans quilt, using up a box of worn out blue jeans my daughter gave me. It is pretty neat, I found the idea on line. When I figure out how to post links, I will do that.

And when that quilt is finished, I want to make a petroglyph quilt! We went to Las Vegas for my niece's wedding this spring, and toured around Arizona and Nevada a bit - Grand Canyon, Zion National Park, Red Rock Canyon, AWESOME places!! One of them (Red Rock, I think) had petroglyphs, and I think they would be really cool in a reverse applique quilt. Since a petroglyph is made by carving into the rock, the upper layer of rock is removed; in reverse applique, the upper layer of fabric is removed, revealing the bottom layer. Get it??

Well, that gets me caught up, I guess. Happy quilting!

No comments:

Post a Comment