Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Jeans quilt ...

I finally finished a jeans quilt!  My daughter has been donating old jeans to my stash for several years, and last year I started cutting out circles.  The plan was to cut circles from the jeans, squares from scraps, and put them together with a square of batting.  This is a picture of the circles and squares: 

Circles cut from old jeans, squares from cotton scraps.





I was cutting out circles whenever I had a few extra moments (usually while watching T.V.).  My two-year-old granddaughter liked this part; she played with the circles whenever she was visiting.  (Once my dad, her great-grandfather, was sleeping on the floor and she covered him with circles!)

Eventually I had enough circles (around 200) to start putting the quilt together.  It was really kind of neat;  I sewed fourteen circles together to make one row.  I then sewed three rows together, and THEN starting adding the cotton squares (with batting underneath).  By doing it row by row this way, I could quilt the circle flaps down easily on my regular sewing machine.  This picture shows it almost complete:

Row of circles waiting for cotton squares
The next step is sewing another row of circles to the unfinished edge, and then insert the batting and cotton squares into this row.  What is really cool about this technique is the quilt-as-you-go aspect; the edges are finished as soon as the flaps are sewn down!





 
Back of jeans quilt - shades of blue!
Completed jeans quilt
Here is the finished quilt, front and back.

The edges of the circle flaps are unfinished, so they will fray and give the old-fashioned "cut-off jeans" look to this quilt.  I love it!!

And, since it is made of denim, it is nice and heavy and should be durable to use as an outdoor quilt.  I am planning on using it to place my grandchildren on (ages 2,1, and 6-months) when we go outside... I hope it gets a LOT of use! 

No comments:

Post a Comment