Wednesday, September 28, 2011

A rose by any other name ...

I have decided to name the peafowl.  Mostly because when I go to tend to the mother peahen and her chicks, I talk to her before I open the door of the coop so she will know that "who goes there" is friend, not foe.  And it is easier to call her by name.  So, I named her Bernadette.  Since we only have one other peahen and one peacock, I decided to name the other hen Penny and the male, Sheldon.  ("Big Bang Theory", anyone?)

Since I am also tending the guinea with her chicks, I decided to name her Ophelia.  After the ghostly Ophelia in Hamlet.  (I am not positive Ophelia is truly ghostly in Hamlet, but she is in my recollection.)  Anyway, MY Ophelia is a light gray guinea, and certainly fits the ghostly image!

Which leaves the mother hen, who has eight chicks.  (I thought we lost one, I only counted seven yesterday, but all eight were back today, hurray!)  She is now Claudia.  I just like that name.  I have never named fowl before, and I still have two Marans hens and two male guineas without names, and I don't think I want to name all eight chicks and all seven guinea chicks and the four peachicks, but ... mothers deserve some recognition for all their hard work!

1 comment:

  1. Hello from a fellow Wisconsinite.....

    That's a lot of names to keep track of...if you would name all of them. I like "Sheldon" (love that show)

    ReplyDelete